Laura Stamm's Power SkatingBook - 2001
Hockey is played faster every year. Players are bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled than ever. Those who can't maintain the pace have little chance of making it at the higher levels.
Laura Stamm's Power Skating, Third Edition will help you develop explosive speed with Stamm's proven techniques that have helped thousands of skaters at all levels of the game become great skaters. It also provides you with practice drills that will help you hone and transfer that speed to game situations.
Laura Stamm has taught the Los Angeles Kings, the New York Rangers, the New York Islanders, the New Jersey Devils, and other teams around the world have employed her Power Skating System as well. Thousands of amateur and pro players--including many NHL stars--learned directly from Stamm how to increase their speed, ability, and efficiency on the ice.
In this updated edition of her popular power skating book, Stamm introduces additional coverage of the topics most important to today's hockey coaches and players. She explains everything from how to select proper skates and equipment for superior skating to all the critical components of explosive skating:
- Balance for stability and speed
- Explosiveness through greater force application
- Starts for a step advantage on the opposition
- Forward stride for a more aggressive attack
- Backward stride for mobility on defense
- Crossovers for split-second change of direction
- Stops for being able to halt on a dime
- Turns and transitions for multi-directional moves
- Agility for maximum coverage of the ice
- Training for faster and more powerful skating
Nearly 300 drawings and photographs illustrate skating skills from the basic to the complex. And for each maneuver you'll also find a detailed explanation of how to perform the skill, plus proven drills and exercises to help you practice that maneuver. The exercises progress from the simplest to the most difficult and include special pointers for coaches.
Every great hockey player skates powerfully and is able to get in position to make the key play. Laura Stamm's Power Skating will give you that explosive edge on the competition.